Cabinetry Terminology 101

If you are new to the world of new builds and remodels, there may be a lot of terminology flung around that you’ve never heard of. We put together some of the most common ‘lingo’ and broke down what it all means so you can have a better understanding of what’s going on.

Slab Vs. 5 Piece Door

    • Some door styles offer two options for your drawer fronts, Slab or 5 Piece. A slab drawer looks similar to a flat panel without extra detail. A 5 piece drawer front will have the same detail as your doors. The drawer is called a 5 piece drawer front because it is actually constructed with 5 pieces rather than a slab. Below are examples of the same door style showing both drawer front options. One is a flat slab, the other looks like the door or 5 piece.


Slab door front                                       5 piece door front

Recessed Vs. Raised Panel

    • When you hear recessed or raised panel, we are referring to the center panel of the door. If the door style has a flat center panel then the door is a recessed door style. If the door’s center panel is slightly raised then the door style is a raised center panel. Below are examples of both options.


Flat Center Panel                                Raised Center Panel

Cabinet Construction Options

    • Cabinets have different construction options that you can choose from. The construction of the cabinet is referring to the sides and the back of the cabinet. The front of your cabinet is typically going to be solid wood as a standard for all cabinet lines.
    • Standard Construction – Standard construction consists of furniture board sides and back. The sides will typically be finished with a paper printed to match the finish of your cabinet. This the most cost effective option as far the cost of the cabinetry. If you are not able to upgrade to plywood ends in the cabinet line, you do have the option to purchase skins or panels to be attached to the sides of the cabinet. This will give you the same look as a plywood end.
    • Plywood Ends – Plywood ends mean the sides of your cabinet will be plywood. The back of the cabinet will be furniture board. With this option you will have wood ends that match the finish of your cabinet whether that be a stain or paint.
    • All Plywood Construction – All plywood construction means the sides and back of the cabinet will be plywood. The front of the cabinet will remain solid wood. With this option you will also have wood sides finished to match the cabinetry.

Full Overlay Vs. Standard Overlay

    • Full Overlay – The overlay of the door refers to how much of the frame the door and drawer cover. A full overlay door style covers most of the frame of the cabinet with a small revel, you see a small portion of the cabinet frame.
    • Standard Overlay – If your door style is a standard overlay or partial overlay you will see more of the cabinet frame. Typically you will have about a ¾” revel.


Full overlay                                      Standard/Partial Overlay


Previous Post
How to Properly Maintain Your Surfaces and Cabinetry
Next Post
When to Use Corian Endura vs. Corian Quartz